Thursday, 20 June 2013

DIY Shabby Chic Dressing Table


shabby chic diy white dressing table

It's amazing what a lick of paint can do and if you're prepared for a bit of elbow work, you can turn an old, tired looking piece of furniture into something much more modern and fresh. I had been after a dressing table for a while now, but after looking online in the usual places such as Dunhelm and IKEA, I looking at around £100. However, my mum spied this little piece in a second hand shop just round the corner from us and it only cost us £45, after haggling it down from £60. Bargain, right?! Fair enough, it doesn't have a stool but we're raiding the second hand shop again in a few days time to look for something that would work with it.

To transform furniture into something like this, is surprisingly easy. The key is good wood and a lot of sandpaper. A lot of modern furniture is made out of MDF which doesn't work in the same way when it comes to sanding and repainting and that's why finding something made out of good solid wood  is really important. You basically want to sand down all the surfaces you're going to repaint- I used a sandpaper with a fine grain but medium would work to. You don't need to strip it right back to the original wood- you just need to take enough of the varnish off to give it a rougher surface and therefore something for the new layer of paint to cling on to. If there are any cracks in the wood, it's nothing some wood adhesive can't fix or, if needs be, a small nail and this should be done and left to dry before painting.
The paint I used was a matt paint in Natural Calico which we conveniently had in the shed and you can still get hold of. I was advised against using a gloss paint. I did two coats of paint, which in warm weather, dried within a few hours. Once everything was dry, I gave the edges a quick rub with a bit of sandpaper to rough them up a bit. If you want to distress the surfaces even more, use a medium grain sandpaper as the paint clogs the paper up more than a fine layer of varnish but I left mine as it is with white surfaces and a few rough edges. I will eventually shine up the handles on the draw eventually.

And that's all it takes. It's amazing how simple it can be. So if you're looking for some new furniture and don't mind a bit of hard work, take a look round your local second hand shops. You never know what you might find and with a bit of paint, a nice afternoon and a bit of time, you've got a completely transformed piece of furniture.

A little bit different, but I hope you guys have liked this post.
xx

15 comments:

  1. It looks great, better that any ikea buy!

    lizzie-florence.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great, I wish I had something like this but I have zero room at the moment for anything :/ It also looks very fun to do :)

    Amy xx
    A Little Boat Sailing

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a great job, it looks really lovely! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. aw wow this is so so cute!! <3

    http://wishuponasmile.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks amazing - great work! :)
    www.theemeralddove21.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe how lovely this looks, I love restoring furniture and this is done so well. Your blog is lovely by the way www.northwesternbeauty.com xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this idea, it looks amazing. I have been saving up to get a dressing table but cannot find one I want that is white and that is exactly what I will have to do if I still can't find one. :) Thanks for sharing. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks amazing! I might be getting my room decorated shabby-chic at Christmas, this post gave me some great ideas on what I can do with my furniture! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this dressing table, it's beautiful!
    xxx

    www.forevermissvanity.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice trasformation, absolutely gorgeous dressing table!you have a very nice blog.Kids Car Beds

    ReplyDelete
  11. it looks amazing, i love this dressing table, you did a great job.CHEAP BED LONDON

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, I read every single one :)

UA-39379170-1